Curriculum VitaAllyson Washburn
e-Learning & User Assessment Librarian
2228 Harold B. Lee Library
- Master of Library and Information Science, Brigham Young University, 1993
- Library Media Services Credential, California State University at Los Angeles, 1992
- Bachelor of Science, Elementary Education, Brigham Young University, 1970
Library and Library-Related Experience
Harold B. Lee Library
Non-Library Professional Experience
- Harold B. Lee Library: Automated Library Systems Committee, Publicity Team, Digital Library Team, Reference Services Project Team, Public Services Department Chairs, Web Working Group Chair (2003–07), Web Team Usability Study Team (2005), Reference Services Committee, Federated Searching Implementation Recommendations and Implementation Team, Library Writing Circle Chair, DSpace Project Team, Blackboard Building Block Project Manager (2004–05), Consolidated Search Interface Committee (2007), CCLA Public Services Committee, Search and screen committees
- Brigham Young University: Teaching and Learning Support Services Coordinating Council, Educational Resources Group, LMS Review Committee (2006–07), Employee Giving (2005–06), Faculty Women's Association Professional Track Faculty Issues Committee
- Dixie State College of Utah: Celebrity Concert Series Board Member, Women’s Conference in Dixie Board Member
Professional Memberships and Positions
- Utah Academic Library Consortium: Director’s Council, Collection Development Committee, Reference and Bibliographic Instruction Committee, Distance Education Committee (2002–05)
- Utah Library Association: Chair-elect and chair of Library Instruction Roundtable (2002–04), Chair-elect and chair of ACRL (Association of College & Research Libraries) Roundtable (2005–07), Conference Program Committee (Co-chair, 2004)
- American Library Association: Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), Distance Learning Section (DLS), Member and Chair of Communication Committee (2005–07)
- Chamberlain, R., Morrison, R., & Washburn, A. (March 3, 2003) Help! I’ve got distance learners in my library! Utah State Library Uplift Training, Snow College, Ephraim, UT.
- Belliston, C. J., Frye, S., Graupner, E., & Washburn, A. (April 10–13, 2003) Virtual reference using Convey’s OnDemand: Reports from the field. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 11th National Conference—Learning to Make A Difference, Charlotte, NC.
- Mott, J., Johnson, T., & Washburn, A. (March 10, 2004) Multi-organizational collaborative support of Blackboard. Blackboard 6th Annual User’s Conference.
- Washburn, A. & Draper, J. (May 6, 2004) 80 Miles from the nearest library, with a research paper due Monday: Extending library services to distance learners. Eleventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference, Carefree, AZ.
- Morrison, R. & Washburn, A. (May 6, 2004) Taking assessment on the road: Utah academic librarians focus on distance learners. Eleventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference, Carefree, AZ.
- Washburn, A. (August 13, 2004) No student is an island: Building electronic bridges for distance learning courses. Nevada Library Association Conference, Henderson, NV.
- Washburn, A. (February 28–March 2, 2006) Marrying sources to courses: Using a building block to integrate library resources. Blackboard World ’06, San Diego, CA.
- Washburn, A. (April 26–28, 2006) Career paths of distance education librarians: A profile of current practitioners subscribed to the OFFCAMP listserv. Twelfth Off-Campus Library Services Conference, Savannah, GA.
- Brassau, L., Glenn, J., Martin, P., Roberts, B., & Washburn, A. (May 17–18, 2006) Marketing 101: Learning about our users. Utah Library Association Conference, St. George, UT.
- Butler, J., Hill, M., & Washburn, A. (May 17–18, 2006) Delivering library services to students: Changing the model. Utah Library Association Conference, St. George, UT.
- Giesecke, J., Kelly, M., Lanham, E., Vondracek, R., & Washburn, A. (June 22–27, 2006) Expanding the library: Integrating library services into course management systems, portals, and beyond. American Library Association Annual Conference, Reference and User Services Association, Machine Assisted Reference Service Section, Hot Topics Discussion Group, New Orleans, LA.
- Washburn, A. et al. (January 21, 2007) E-Learning spaces: Librarians in course management systems. American Library Association Midwinter Conference, Association of College and Research Libraries, Instruction Section, Current Issues Discussion Group, Seattle, WA.
- Washburn, A. & Draper, J. (2004) 80 Miles from the nearest library, with a research paper due Monday: Extending library services to distance learners. Co-published simultaneously in Journal of Library Administration, 41(3/4), 507–529 and: Mahoney, P. (Ed.), Eleventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (pp. 383–402). Mount Pleasant, Michigan: Central Michigan University.
- Morrison, R. & Washburn, A. (2004) Taking assessment on the road: Utah academic librarians focus on distance learners. Co-published simultaneously in Journal of Library Administration, 41(1/2), 327–341 and: Mahoney, P. (Ed.), Eleventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (pp. 243–252). Mount Pleasant, Michigan: Central Michigan University.
- Washburn, A. (2006) Career paths of distance education librarians: A profile of current practitioners subscribed to the OFFCAMP listserv," Journal of Library Administration, 45(3/4), 483–509.
- Frade, P. & Washburn, A. (2006) The university library: The center of a university education? portal: Libraries and the Academy, 6(3), 327–346.
- Washburn, A. & Wages, B. (2008) Document delivery for distance learners: Not as difficult as you fear. Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery & Electronic Reserve, 2(18), 255-263.
- Washburn, A. (2008) Writing circle feedback: Creating a vibrant community of scholars. The Journal of Faculty Development, 1(22), 32-37.
- Washburn, A. & Howell, S. (2008) E-mail alerts and RSS feeds for distance learning administrators. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 2(11).
- Washburn, A. (2008). Finding the library in Blackboard: An assessment of library integration. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 4(3), 301-16. URL: http://jolt.merlot.org/currentissue.html
- Washburn, A. & Summey, T.P. (In press) Marketing library services to distance learners. In Encyclopedia of Distance Learning, 2nd ed. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Reference.
Continuing EducationInstitutes and Workshops: Western Archives Institute, Snowbird Leadership Institute, Grantsmanship Training, Fisher Management Training, BYU Project Planning and Management, ALA Strategic Marketing for Academic and Research Libraries: Train the Trainer, HBLL Leadership and Organizational Development workshop
Online Credit Courses: Marketing of Information Services (SUNY Buffalo), Graduate Writing Workshop, Foundations of Distance Education, Distance Education Library Services, Technology in Distance Education (University of Maryland University College)
Online Workshops: All Users Are Local: Bringing the Library Next Door to the Campus Worldwide, Virtual Reference Software Selection, Usability Driven Homepage Design
Teleconferences & Webinars: Google and Libraries, Discussing the Disconnects Between Library Culture and Millennial Generation Values, Podcasting in Higher Education and Implications for Academic Libraries, Relevance of Libraries in a Digital Age, Observing Student Researchers in Their Native Habitat
- “SIRSI’s Leader in Library Technology Grant”; grant funded by the SIRSI Corporation and awarded by the American Library Association 2003. One-year grant of $10,000 to construct and implement a library services portal in Independent Study university level English courses.
- “Strengthening Academic Quality and Student Retention through Academic Restructuring”; Title III grant awarded to Dixie College by the US Department of Education as part of the Strengthening Institutions Program (CDFA 84.0341A), 1995. One-year grant of $900 plus a new computer and printer. Support for converting one-credit Information Retrieval Skills course to web-based format.
- “Delmar D. Gott Oral History Collection”; Utah Historical Society, 2000. Fifteen-month grant of $3,000 with partial match by library. Support for transcription, editing, and binding of recorded oral histories of notable area residents, transcriber wages, honorarium for project coordinator, binding supplies.
- “Dixie Pioneers and Storytellers Oral History Collection”; Utah Humanities Council — 2000. One-year grant of $2,000 with partial match by library. Support for transcription, editing, and binding of recorded oral histories of pioneers and storytellers of southwestern Utah, transcriber wages, and binding supplies.
- Marriner S. Eccles Foundation 1996–2001. Annual grant of $10,000–$14,000. Grant monies were expended to purchase library books and equipment such as shelving, self-checkout machine, ADA compliant workstations, etc.
Harold B. Lee Library
- Gary Gillum, Ancient Studies, Religion, Philosophy Librarian
Office: 2247 HBLL
- Betsy Hopkins, Life Sciences Librarian
Office: 2322 HBLL
- Russ Taylor, Special Collections Reference Librarian
Office: 1122 HBLL
- William Lund, Information Technology Division Head
Office: 2822 HBLL
- Todd Stubbs, Instructional Design Architect
Office: 3800-B HBLL
- Ellen Allred, Dean, Bachelor of General Studies program
Office: 315 HCEB
- Bryan Morse, Associate Professor of Computer Science
Office: 3364 TMCB
- Kristine Hansen, Associate Professor Rhetoric and Composition
Office: 3162 JKB
Colleagues from other Universities
- Margaret Casado, Distance Education Librarian
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
135F Hodges Library
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-0087
- Robert Morrison, Librarian
National Louis University
122 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60603
Phone: (312) 261-3376
- Kate Adams, Coordinator, Distance Education and Undergraduate Services
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
317 Love Library
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-4100
Phone: (402) 472-2560
- Flora Shrode, Head of Reference Services
Utah State University
3000 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-3000
Phone: (435) 797-8033
- Terri Summey, Associate Professor
Emporia State University
1200 Commercial Street
Emporia, Kansas 66801
Phone: (620) 341-5058